3.23.2010

Like Totally


Ah the 80's........the toys...they were so cool! So, with that said...the following is a list of Queen to 1's 80's faves:



(bad photo)

Girl Talk board game - easily one of my favorites, although I don't remember playing the game much with friends. I just loved the telephone it came with - ooh, and the red "zit" stickers! AWESOME!



Keypers - I always called them secret keepers. I had the purple snail. I LOVED this toy! I kept the strangest things in mine. Bits of ribbon, Bazooka comics, a few choice NKOTB trading cards (if you don't know what NKOTB stands for, stop reading..right now...and go away!) and of course, the funny little ??gopher??? never was sure what that little guy was.



Cabbage Patch Dolls - WHY did my parents torture me with this doll? My little brother has red hair, and for some twisted reason, the only dolls my parents ever bought me...had RED hair! My first, and only Cabbage Patch Doll had red corn silk hair. It was curly in front and long in back (hybrid mullet?!) She's actually in the picture shown above. Back row, left. I never had the "yarn head" dolls. I also remember having matching pajamas for me and my Cabbage Patch Doll. Not to mention my totally rad high chair
 and a big wheel for my doll. The big wheel was soooo cool! It had straps to hold the dolls feet in place while it "peddled" and a handle that came up from the back for me to push her along with. Oh, and I also had the buggie stroller that had the detachable bassinet. Ok. I really did love that doll! (except her name....it was something weird like Roberta or Abigail.)



Stickers - ok, technically may not be a toy....but I had a sticker collection to envy! Scratch and Sniff, puffy, glitter, you name it...I had it!!! I was so proud of my sticker album.



Colorforms - you remember these don't you?! I had the Cabbage Patch Kids House play set. I think I had a Smurfs one too, but I loved that Cabbage Patch one. I remember many car trips to Two Harbors to see my grandparents, and my colorforms were right there with me.



Pound Puppys, Popples, and Pillow People - didn't keep your attention for long and everyone had the girl with the yellow pigtails Pillow Person, and the purple Popple.



My little Pony - I was never the little girl that likes horses and pony's, etc. But...I loved pink, purple, glitter, etc. I loved brushing my ponies hair. Eventually they became pets for my ultimate favorite 80's toy.........




Barbies - Oh my garsh...did I have a lot of Barbies! I am the only girl in my family, and I'm the oldest. I had every Barbie known to man in the 80's. My very first Barbie was Day-to-Night Barbie. I still have most of the clothes she came with. I loved the had, purse, and briefcase the most. And remember the shoes? Pumps and boots. LOVED THEM ALL! I had all the furniture, but never a house. I loved making my own houses. I had a HUGE bedroom, so when it was time to play Barbies, it was serious mansion time. I would use my brothers Lego's to form "walls" (ok, just a single line to create room borders). I had the kitchen, living room, dining room, canopy bed, pool with deck, corvette, garden party set, wedding set, and a TV studio that wasn't really "Barbie" brand, but it worked for me. If I needed a new piece of furniture, I would go out to my dad's workshop and make it out of scrap wood. I once used the Styrofoam end of the new VCR we got for xmas as a dresser. It made perfect sense to me. I used a red pen to draw on the drawers..and....presto....DRESSER. (yes, I was Martha even back then!) And we all had the clothes made by our grandmothers. My great grandma Becker made hats for my dolls.

Here are a few of my other favorites:



Charms


What were these called? I just remember the stickers.



Pee-Wee - CLASSIC! "tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!"



Cupcake dolls - really?



Awesome books!



Getalong Gang



Hug-a-bunch dolls



Pogo Ball



can't remember the name -just remember the scar!

Some of my little brothers favorites:

He-Man - loved the dude with the three faces. You simply pushed the button on top of his head. I recently saw this throw back on a Family Guy episode. Stewie was deploring him to protect him from the tooth fairy (i think that's how it went)

Hit Stix - electronic drum sticks you hit in the air and made drum sounds with

Micro Machines - I just remember those hurting when you stepped on them

Hot Wheels - thank you Patrick for the indented scar above my left eye. Imagine if you will....metal Hot Wheel comes flying across the room and hits me in the face....and Mom was there to witness it!

LEGO's - Patrick had LEGO's like I had Barbies! They were every where!

There are many other fabulous toys, so please stay tuned for a slideshow and take a walk down memory lane!
 
 
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I was going to say - didn't you already post this a while back? then I scrolled down more and yup - you mentioned you did. ha! But yes, it's way worth bringing up again! Man those were the good ol' days. I would do anything to be a kid again. so many fun memories. My brother would play endless hours of Sim City back when it was on either regular nintendo or super nintendo. can't remember which. but he'd play the entire time when we'd go visit our mom over the weekends. And I'd play with his legos because they were cooler than mine. He had the actual sets like the Police Station and Hospital. I had nuthin'. And I could only play with them if I laid out a blanket FIRST! He was a little anal. God bless him! hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing back all those fun memories! And yes, I am old enough to remember those toys! Might have to pull out my popples sleeping bag for the retreat this weekend. JK. Didn't you have any Trolls?! How about slap braclets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stickers are SHIRT TALES! ;)

    ReplyDelete